Monday, March 9, 2009

the left hand of darkness- chapter 9 and 10

" 'This is absolutely fascinating Mr. Ai,' said the host Commensal Yegey, a delicate, dapper, drawling fellow with keen eyes. ' But I can't see what'd they'd want with us. I mean to say, what particular good is an eighty-fourth world to them? And not, I take it, a very clever world, for we dont have Star Ships and so on, as they all do.' " pg. 137-138

In Yegey's words, i believe that his tone seems to be a little resentful. I'm not sure if he wants to obtain star ships or make a point that their eighty-fourth world can be just as superior and civilized as the one that Genly Ai had observed. I think that commensal felt resentful and jealous. He probably wants a star ship for his people and for his planet, but they probably do not have the resources to either build one or obtain one. I feel that Genly Ai's interepretation of obtaining a star ship to trade not only goods but to trade knowledge and new information for his people and thousands of others to share is important to him. I wonder if for Yegey, he wants to gain the star ship for purposes that are for personal gains. I wonder if Genly is able to accomplish his goals, that Yegey will turn aro
und and disestablish everything that Genly had worked to gain. I feel that if Yegey was to gain control of a star ship that he would use it for the power of fascism and not to help to gain knowledge of his people. If Genly were leader, I know that he would spread his knowledge to the people and share all that he knows so that his people and his land would be most intelligent.
image from: www-cs.stanford.edu/.../Immagini/rocketship.gif

and

:
cs.stanford.edu/.../manips/iarp/howtotravel.html

No comments:

Post a Comment